A pearly-white smile is beautiful to look at and can greatly improve self-confidence. Many people are opting for the Zoom!® Chairside Whitening System (Zoom!®) for fast, safe and effective teeth whitening. Zoom!® combines the newest advances in dental technology with proven chemical formulas. This ensures that the bleaching experience is painless, and the results are satisfying.
There are many reasons why teeth become stained or discolored, including tobacco use, and drinking dark liquids such as red wine, coffee, tea and cola. However, the natural aging process and prescription medication use can also cause yellowing and graying.
There are literally hundreds of whitening treatments available in the marketplace, including take-home strips, bleaching toothpastes and take-home whitening gels. Many take-home gels are ineffective and may not elicit the desired results.
Zoom!® has many advantages over these other treatments, including:
- All teeth treated simultaneously.
- Faster treatment times.
- Longer lasting results.
- Reduced sensitivity.
- Removal of stains on crowns, veneers and other restorations.
- Safe procedure and treatment.
- Treatments are performed by an experienced professional.
It is important to seek advice from the dentist prior to beginning a bleaching regime. Women who are pregnant or lactating should not seek bleaching treatment.
How Does Zoom!® Whiten The Teeth?
Zoom!® is a bleaching process that lightens the dentin and enamel of the teeth. Zoom!® contains a hydrogen peroxide component (25%), which is the active ingredient in the gel. When hydrogen peroxide is applied to the teeth, the peroxide component breaks down into tiny oxygen bubbles. It is these bubbles that eliminate yellowing and staining.
A mercury metal halide light is used to activate the gel and expedite the whitening process. This specialized light contains a unique infrared filter that works to reduce the amount of heat (and therefore sensitivity) on the surface of the teeth during the procedure. The internal structure of the teeth remains completely healthy and intact during and after the treatment.
As with any whitening system, the post-treatment results can vary according to the degree of staining and the condition of the teeth. A consultation with the dentist prior to treatment will provide information as to what kind of results Zoom!® can provide in specific instances. Zoom!® is only applied to healthy teeth and gums. If tooth decay or gum disease is an issue, these need to be controlled before the bleaching treatment is performed.
How Is The Zoom!® Treatment Performed?
Prior to treatment, there will be a consultation where the dentist will outline the exact procedure. On treatment day, a deep cleaning (prophylaxis) will be performed to rid the teeth of any debris and plaque. Then, special eyewear will be provided to protect the eyes from the halide light, and splashguards to protect the clothing from the bleaching agent.
Here is a brief overview of the Zoom!® procedure:
- Cheek retractors will be placed to expose the entire surface of the teeth.
- The gums will be painted or covered to reduce sensitivity.
- The dentist will apply the whitening gel to the teeth.
- The halide light will then be applied to activate the gel. This specialized Zoom!® light can be positioned to work on all the teeth simultaneously.
- After 15 minutes, gel will be removed from the teeth and the mouth will be rinsed.
- More gel will be applied for another 15 minutes.
- Again, the gel will be removed and the mouth will be thoroughly cleansed.
- The final treatment of gel will be applied for 15 minutes.
- The gel will be removed for the final time.
What Happens After Treatment?
The same external factors that caused the discoloration in the first place can quickly work their way back onto the teeth. For this reason, the dentist recommends flossing once a day, thorough cleaning with anti-sensitivity toothpaste twice a day, and occasional retreatment with Zoom!®Weekender. These post-treatment measures will ensure that the smile stays at its whitest for a long time.
If you have questions about the Zoom!® Chairside System, please ask your dentist.